Wildlife abounds in the locality and the churchyard is blessed with many species of birds, butterflies and other insects and invertebrates including slowworms, whilst larger mammals are not uncommon in the surrounding fields. Overhead can be seen birds of prey including red kites which are now extending their territories into the locality.
The Peace of a Country Churchyard
Set on the hillside above the River Gade in three acres of trees, shrubs and meadow, the churchyard is an environmental haven for wildlife.
The old churchyard is now full, so a new churchyard adjoining it has been created and planted to an imaginative design with specimen trees. Public footpaths wend their way through the churchyard, and walkers are always welcome.
Every resident in the parish is entitled to be buried in the churchyard, and tombstones can be found dating back to 1695 recording the lives of the people in the village and parish.
Many different types of memorials can be found with some families’ memorials being of the same design over many generations.
Some of the tombstones are grade one listed monuments in their own right.
In the churchyard is a large lump of Hertfordshire pudding stone, and other pieces have been incorporated into the church walls.