Nobody knows the exact date of the first church, but the Domesday Book mentions that there was a priest here in 1086. The style of the present building suggests that the oldest part dates from about 1180 to 1200 A.D. and the lancet window in the chancel is a typical of the late 12th century. It is by far the oldest and most historic building in the parish.
We know that the area was settled long before the
first church, for example there are some Roman bricks and tiles incorporated in building.
Recently whilst a dowsing expert was trying to locate an underground water leak the expert was confused as he registered a series of readings in a circular pattern that led under the porch of the church, perhaps indicative of a series of wooden post holes from an earlier structure.
The Church is listed as being of Grade 1 architectural importance.
Click HERE for a presentation of the history of the church.